Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snow sidetracks

So much for getting away to another country to get in loads of training miles.... hmmmm

After a rather longer period of inactivity than usual, I finally decided to get back on the bike and start training for the 2010 season. So on Monday I headed out for 3 hours up the mountains. Not exactly "easing" into it but I was keen, and also well aware that I don't have much longer to ride in these Appalachian mountains before heading home in early Jan. The ride up the first part of the mountain was good, however once I got near 1000m, I was surrounded by snow and even had to get off and walk across some very deep and big sections of ice. The descent back down the valley was rather cold. Needless to say I had the sniffles and sneezes a couple days later. But frankly none of that mattered... snow was on the horizon.



So, we've been stuck in the house for that last few days, with over 50cm of snow. It's been pretty cool (in all meanings of the word). Today we finally got out there and tried to get the car out of the snow. That took a few hours and felt like some serious cross-training. It was actually really good fun, and needless to say, after much shoveling and skidding with the car, the inevitable "play in the snow" ensued. Face plants, attempted slides down the hill on a trash bag... the slides didn't go too well, the snow was too deep and I ended up just getting stuck, totally covered with my face under the snow.




Fun, nothing like being a kid in the snow. And needless to say, the peacefulness is bliss out here in the hoods on Page Country!

No comments: