Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Race

Well, Sunday's race was pretty fun. I was to cover the first part of the day.. so I followed some breaks etc, just made sure we had someone in every move. I even attacked once. Not sure why, with my training (or lack there of) it was probably a bit silly, but I was an opotunity on a bit of a climb... got the field a bit strung out but it really didn't go anywhere.
Apart from the John and I were the only two to really do anything. We pulled our leader up out of the wind, then closed the gap to the main break so that he could jump across the gap at the base of a climb. It was a bit annoying because the rest of the team just sat around folloing wheels and did their own race, racing just for themselves and no one else. Luckily John and I somehow managed to finish ahead of most of them. Our aim was the get our man up front, and that's what we did. I mainly kept him out of the wind, then when we closed down the gap to the break, John but in a massive and impressive turn on the front, strung out the entire field and got everything perfectly set up for Julien (our leader) to jump across the gap without taking anyone with him.

We then formed a bit of a group of about 40 riders and rode in to the finish. I tried to controle the group so that there weren't attacks left right and center. No point "racing" at that stage, if you are so far back you need to race in a groupetto and help eachother out.

With 1k to go I was going to lead John out for our little group sprint. I hit the front, rounded a corner with about 500 meters to go and found there was a steep rise hidden behind the corner. I hit a wall and slowed down a lot. But still I think mayb 2 guys came around us, one guy took John a bit by suprise and came around him. In our group we finished 3rd and 4th I think, I'm not sure if I was 3rd or if John was... not that it really matters, the race was over by then.. but it was kind of fun.

It was a nice sunny day, so that was sweet.

No comments: