Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tour of Ephrata, Summer is here!!!!

So here we are. Another weekend another race. We’re sitting in a hotel room up in the Armish area of PA. This time John Parks and I have prostituted ourselves out once more, this time donning the NCVC jersey for the weekend. The NCVC guys were in need of a couple riders to fill out their roster for the Tour of Ephrata. The guys were very nice to accept us and have us join them for the weekend. Here's a BIG THANK YOU to NCVC!

Today was the road race. A 130k race on flat and windy roads in a “Northern” style of racing. I felt really shit all day, (possibly due to the past few days of riding). The racing was really hard and I suffered like a dog. Not the greatest day in the world but there you go. It was good training if nothing else. The organizers did have the extremely dubious idea of putting cone in the center line in the middle of the road in sections. No surprises it caused a few crashes and incidents! There were a few stupid moments of crashes once again out there today. I still can’t quite figure that out. In 3 races here I’ve already seen more crashes than in 1 year in France. The course was pretty much an oversized crit, and as Roger Hammond said, US riders seem to have an uncontrollable desire to shoot up on the inside on corners, bunching everything up and scaring the crap out of me… but there you go.

It was a warm and sunny day, and we were racing through Amish country, with horse drawn carts and simpler living styles. I love that part of the racing. It’s so cool to be racing through areas that are that different. Overall a pretty good day. We polished the evening off with a cold beer in Ephrata PA, with the NCVC guys, which is the perfect end to a pretty good day! Life could be worse!

Next up is a Team Time Trial tomorrow morning with a steep uphill finish… that’ll be…. Fun? Should at least be a little bit of training for the Team Time Trial Champs the day after I get home in France on the 21st of May. Tomorrow afternoon is the final stage, a washing-machine, I mean Crit in the afternoon… UGH, I hate crits, I SUCK at them!

No comments: