Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Trans Pyrenees.

So, the day after riding 185km in the Boucles du Tarn Elite race, I jumped in the car at 5am and drove down to a little town just south or Barcelona. From here started the Trans Pyrenees Challenge, and I was a guide with Thomson Bike Tours.

We spent a good part of the trip on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees.


The idea is to ride your bike from one end of the mountain range to the other in just 6 days. Personally I was pretty buggered and it took me a good 4 or 5 days to recover from Saturday’s race and start to get some feeling back in my legs. So the first few days were pretty hard for me. Of course ever single day included multiple climbs, and not just hills, real climbs!

So here’s the breakdown of my week:

Sat: 185k

Sun:50k

Mon: 152k

Tue: 140k

Wed: 160k

Thu: 128k

Friday: 106k (“Only”)

Sat: 140k


So that’s over 900km for one week. The list of climbs we did it not even worth including, if it’s in the Pyrenees, we did it! Over 21000 Cal!

But what a GREAT trip. Very good training, a great group of people, a perfect and smooth organization. Only downside was one day of rain on which I managed to catch a cold… :-)

We were up pretty high for most of the week.

2 comments:

Luke Shilling said...

21000 calories!! that's probably equivalent to the box of krispy kremes you ate a while back.

simjetlag said...

It probably is... just imagine, it could take a week to burn that off. Of course, that's why I HATE people who count calories... just eat what you want... Hmmm... Krispy Kremes and a coffee... gotta go.. see ya (spitting crumbs as he speaks)