Thursday, August 23, 2007

Intervals between the rain drops

Yesterday I slipped between the rain drops to get in a 2.5 hour ride. I had planned to go out again, but with the rain it didn't happen. Probably not a bad thing anyway, as I felt like crap on that ride.

So now onto today... rain rain rain. But I got out for a little under 3 hours and didn't get wet at all. I've been very lucky the past 2 days.

Some sun flowers are hoping there is still some summer to come

I headed out to the Cote de Boissel, the climb that heads out of Gaillac that was used in the 2003 Tour Time trial and that has also been used in the Midi Libre for example. It's not a proper "climb" but it's a nice steady 3km hill, and one I love to do hill reps on. Well... I don't LOVE to do them, but if I have to them, that tends to be my hill of choice.

I started off with 2 reps at full race pace, sitting down and keeping at very steady (though bloody painful) pace. I followed that with 2 reps at race pace again, but this time alternating between sitting fro 30 seconds, and standing for 30 seconds. That had been all I was going to do. That's usually hard enough. But for some reason I felt compelled to do more. So I did 2 more reps, this time in a big gear. 53x11 grinding up with a slightly lower hear rate... ie: just under race pace.

I felt pretty cooked by then, but felt like rewarding myself with an extra little 30 or 40k of easy spinning with some music.

I am quite happy with my day. This morning I didn't think I would get out at all due to this shocking weather... but it turned out OK in the end.

In other news, although I haven't heard from Giana in Austria for a while now, I finally got a hold of her World TT results from Wednesday, and I was VERY happy to see she finished 2nd. A great result considering she has only been back on the bike for about 2 months after a 3 year total absence from the sport and some serious health problems. I'm SO happy for her. I only wish I could have been there with her again to see her pull this off.

Congrats Giana, you rock.

Giana won the world title in 2004
(click on pic for larger image)
Ok, seeing as I am British I'm going to have to talk about the weather again. It looks like it will be clearing up and being somewhat summery again this weekend... which I bloody hope, because I have to stupid crits again this weekend, and crits are bad enough at the best of times, through in the rain as well... and Sim ain't a happy camper.

No comments: