Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Monday: Off to Chateauroux

MONDAY: Power-Tap rules
Having got back home late last night I was up fairly early to pack and start the long drive up to Chateauroux to spend a week with Gealle. It is her birthday, Tuesday, so...

But first I spent a bit of time with my POWER-TAP.
As a few of you know my power-tap stopped working not long before the Tour. I was pretty bummed to be without the trusty/do all cycling tool. But, the great guys over there at Power-Tap US, have taken really great care of me. And just the other day I received a new mounting harness with a new wire... but just to prove they are a truly company, Jereme over there sent me the new stem mounted harness, complete with cadence wire etc etc etc. So... having happily mounted my new wires on my TT bike, I sad down and thought for a bit. I had guessed that the wires on my old harness had broken, or cracked or something. So I broke open the receiver and had a look inside. Nothing to lose, I plugged in the soldering iron and got to work. I removed the wires from the mount, cut out the section of wire I thought was defective, and resoldered the new end of the wire back into place. As you can imagine the inside of the Power-Tap harness is very VERY small, and my soldering iron isn't exactly nano-technology. After much squinting I got it right. I actually managed to repair the harness... I glued it all back together (which is hideously ugly) and I can now mount it permanently on my training bike. How long it will last like that remains to be seen... and I dread to think what will happen to it if it ever gets rained on.

Now, I must say that this isn't the way to go about fixing your power-tap. I wouldn't advise you to try it at home, and I somehow doubt the great guys at Power-Tap would be too impressed if they found out about my D.I.Y. But hey... I had to give it a try.... The Power-Tap is such a great tool I want one on every bike I have. :-)

No comments: