Saturday, September 01, 2007

Wednesday and Thursday up north




What a busy couple days. So I'm up in Chateauroux in what is actually central France, but for anyone who comes from the South of France, we call anything above Bordeaux "The North". So I'm in northern France, we've been looking for a house for Gaelle, and we have found one. It was a crazy couple days, but it all worked out in the end. During this time I didn't touch the bike.

So today Gaelle had to be in the town of Tours for 2 days of meetings. We arrived last night, and after dropping her off at her meetings I set off in typical Sim style with nothing but a few road numbers for guidance and went for a ride. I looked at the map in the car, figured out where I wanted to go and wrote the road numbers and main towns on a sticky paper and put it on my stem.

I felt pretty shitty on the bike, probably due to 2 busy days with very little sleep. The ride was nice but way too flat and windy for my liking. That flat shit kills me. Sitting on the bike in the same gear at the same speed for so long cracks me.

But I went through some great towns. First on my loop was the town of Villeperdue, which means LostTown... great! As it happens there was a chateaux in Villeperdue which was lived in. The place is HUGE and surrounded my a moat. Even the gardens and tennis court are surrounded by a moat. Imagine the heating bills of that massive place in winter. Stunning house!

After that I meandered around and wound my way through towns and villages until I came to town built on an island in the Indre river. Obviously the town has spread to both shores of the river... a great little town. As I headed out of this town I came across some cliff faces (God knows how, it's totally flippin' flat here) with houses built into the rock. No longer lived in of course, past inhabitants of the area had obviously used holes in the rock as their houses, and had built façades into the rock to make little houses. Sadly the pics haven't come out very well because all I had was my cell phone.

It was a shitty ride, but was great in terms of the towns and places I rode through.

Tomorrow will be an easy day on the bike before the TT on Saturday. Tomorrow (Friday) evening we will travel back down to Chateauroux, sign the papers for the house Sat morning and hope to god it goes quickly as we then have to go to the TT. I have a funny feeling I will not perform well in this TT... gee, I wonder why.. :-) But it'll fun!

No comments: