Saturday, September 08, 2007

Saturday, A good year for hillclimbs



A Good year for Hillcimbs
Pic de Nore


It's been a crazy week. I got in late Friday night, ate and went to bed. I had a heavy weekend of racing ahead of me. Saturday was stage 1 of the Pic de Nore hillclimb. Stage one starts in Mazamet and takes you to the top of the Pic de Nore, stage 2 (on Sunday) starts just outside Carcassone and also takes you to the top of the Pic de Nore. I already knew Saturday that I would not do stage 2 because I had a 1 day stage race sunday that I had to do with the team. But I really like hillclimbs, and I do the Pic de Nore stage race every year, so even though it would make it a hard weekend for me, I just knew deep down I couldn't miss the Pic De Nore. Besides, having won a hillclimb in the Pyrenees and an uphill TT in the Pyrenees this year, and having finished 2nd at this event last year... well... I just had to do it!

Incidentally, the Pic de Nore climb will be featured in Pro Cycling Magazine either in the Winter or early next year. With Bikestyle tours we guided Pro Cycling up the Pic de Nore... so look out for that. :-)


Pic de Nore

On a nice hot saturday in southern France, and me having difficulty talking because I had lost my voice over the past few days as I have been a bit sick al week, we took the start of the race. The lower slopes of the climb saw World Women's CycloCross Champion and French National TT champ Marilyne Salvetat (who is in her final preparation for worlds) hit the front and string everyone out. She was setting quite a pace. After a while however the inevitable attacks came and a lead group of 9 or 10 quickly formed. The attacks kept coming thick and thin, but this seemed to be a very equal group, and come the town of Pradelles, where the climb gets really steep for 6 or 7k to the top, we were all still together.

The front group arrives in Pradelles still together
(click on pic for larger image)

The steep slope of the Pic de Nore soon sorted the group out

Somewhat to my surprise I wasn't feeling too bad. But the steep slopes above Pradelles and the constant attacks had me doubting my fitness. I responded to all attacks until we eventually formed a group of 3, including last year's winner and National Team member Francois Fabiani.Fabiani is a good climber, and his constant attacks had me pulling some of the ugliest faces you've ever seen. He can go really fast, but can't go for too long, something I would try and use to my advantage later on in the race. After a series of attacks, one guy joined our group from behind, and counter attacked. We had just been on the attack in our group and let him go. He actually stayed off the front, his gamble worked and he eventually won.




A we approached the final few K, I knew that if I went with about 1k to go I could probably hold it and take it to the line. But again Fabiani's attacks had me gasping for air and I didn't think I would be able to attack. But with a slight slowing of the pace after yet another of Fabiani's attacks I went for it... and held it for 2nd on the day.

Sim attacks to take 2nd place
(click on pic for larger image)




The awards ceremony was back down the hill part way back to Mazamet at a lake that is overlooked by the Pic de Nore. A nice place to sit at the cafe there and have a well deserved Ice Cream!!











Yep, That's the Pic de Nore up there in the background in the top left corner of the pic
(click on pic for larger image)

2 comments:

Mr. Byvik said...

You go girl!!

simjetlag said...

;-) Thanks man.