Monday, September 07, 2009

I’m a light-weight!

The UCI Tour of Senegal is fast approaching. It’s come as something of a blessing as I really needed something in this end of season to keep me (or even GET me) focused. I need something to aim for, I can’t just ride and ride for no reason, and the smaller the races are, the less I seem to be able to get motivated for them. That said I’m pretty worried. It’s a pretty big Pro race (all be it with some National teams) and my racing this season has been patchy. Some solid or dare I say promising “results” but nothing concrete and nothing really to write home about. A few top 10s and a good showing at the Tour of the Pyrenees, but I never really felt like I got going and was on top of things. And then of course the season has been a patchwork of races and work trips, leading to the inevitable inconsistency that seems to represent me so well.

Still there are few things that are givens, that never change in cycling. 1 is that I obviously need to be as fit as poss for Africa. And a few year of riding a bike have taught me that what I should NOT do is get over-excited and do too much training and end up getting to Africa buggered. The bulk of the training by this stage of the season has been done, and it’s too late to cram. So just solid riding, some short intervals to deal with accelerations and to aid the body to getting used to recovery and maybe a few longer rides to keep the endurance up, but that’s about it… and of course, as everyone knows, I’m a slacker anyway, so I couldn’t be bothered to do too much. J

By this stage of the season, the bulk of you training should have been done earlier in the year.


Another given in cycling is weight… or more to the point the lack there of. I seem to have been carrying a few extra kilos this year. Usually my racing weight is around 69kgs, and this year I seem to have been mostly around 70. Well, I’m taking care of that. And I’m now down to 68.6kgs, so there you go… And that’s still eating endless cheese (I am French), a few beers and wine and a fair bit of chocolate. I guess the key is stay away from the “American foods”, Processed this and that, added crap and endless fast food and McDonalds, not to mention the sickening habit of frying things in butter…. Ugh. Well, I think it’s time for aperitif, so salty bickies and beer it is.. … Hmmm….

Beer makes you skinny!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nobody MADE you eat McDonalds and fried food while you were here.

oh, by the way, I had Pat "tweak" the zero on your scale. you might want to re-check that weight. :-)

simjetlag said...

Well that's true. But they also have McDonalds and fried food here, so I don't think it has anything to do with anyboday MAKING me, it's just a matter of staying away from it (sadly).

I just rechecked my weight, and you're right, the "zero" must have been misscalibrated, I'm actually 65.4kgs! :)

Unknown said...

i'm gonna look like the guy in the Lampre kit by the time you get here!