Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Every Cloud has a Glass lining


It was another wet day today on the Sunshine Coast down here in Australia. I got myself up at the unearthly time of 5am to have a little breakfast (believe it or not the Aussies actually ride WITHOUT breakfast... really can't be good for you) and headed out the door to meet a group that rides pretty much every morning. I had planned to get up at 4am and be out at 5am to get in an hour or riding before meeting the guys... but the strong rain during the night easily convinced me to stay in bed that little bit extra. Actually Craig and I were both supposed to get out on the bike at 5am, but the rain forced him to stay in bed too, so... I'm not the only slacker. :)

There was no one at the usual meeting point today, so I figured I would head out towards the hills (towards the GLASS house mountains actually) and get in a couple hours all by my lonesome. Probably wasn't a bad idea as guys here stop for coffee half way through their ride and spend half the ride attacking eachother non-stop. Not really great training, but it gets my lazy ass out and on the bike, and they are a nice bunch of guys, so it's all good. Beats the snow and ice back home anyway!

Just as I headed out of town I rode over one of the endless pieces of glass the Aussies seem to spread all over the roads here, it cut my tire and I found myself walking home in the rain feeling pretty depressed and longing for my beautiful, peaceful and glass free hilly Tarn roads. :-) Of course that was until I remembered those roads are covered in ice right now. I reckon the Aussies must be the worlds biggest glass consumers... there's gotta be half the world's glass resources spread over every square meter of Queensland roads... Not sure if they all crash their cars a lot, or amuse themselves by throwing bottles out of car windows or what... hard to imagine when there is so much stunning and beautiful stuff to occupy them here... stunning beaches, great scenery... normally great weather. Maybe it's the hot weather turning the sand of the beaches into glass... hmmm... maybe if the rain stopped for a few days.

Sim's Tarn roads are better in summer than they are in winter... as you can find out in the latest issue of ProCycling magasine.

Well it all worked out anyway because I was due for a Power step test anyway, which has to be done indoors, so I got that done at least.

More rain tomorrow... not a bad thing really as it keeps Gaelle happy... she was pretty pissed off at the idea that it had only rained during her time here in Aus and that it was getting sunny again as soon as she headed home to the dead of winter.

Right then... time to go and plug in the step test results and see how bad I am!

No comments: