Thursday, March 20, 2008

A cold welcome

After 30 hours flying and a little difficulty to tear myself away from the warmth of the weather and the people on the Sunshine Coast in Australia, I am back on home soil. I must say there are some people I will really miss over there. Being home is quite nice, but it’s also very strange. It doesn’t feel like I ever left, and I almost wonder if I really did spend 4 months in Australia? Seeing the high, snow covered Pyrenees from the plane as we approached Toulouse was quite exciting. Eating chocolatines and having a baguette was very exciting.


Quite a rude awakening being home. It’s sunny and blue skies, but it’s rather cold for my liking. The first thing I did getting off the plane, was go for a nice 2+ hour ride. It was odd being back on home roads, and everything fell right back into place; navigating the area was easy, the roads were good and the drivers pleasant… and above all, I had the freedom of not slapping a helmet on my head.


Before and After










Before the flight: hot and sweaty with big red thing on head. After the Flight: cold and cold with hat on head.

I saw a few holes in the road, but was relieved not hear the panic stricken scream of “HOOOOOOLLLLE!”, however I was saddened not to hear to chit-chat and banter of people like Evan, Tahlia, “Coffee Luke”, and the infamous story king “Astana Dave” Keevers.

Once again I want to thank Craig “The Stig” Shepherd for his infinite kindness, hospitality and banter/piss taking. How long will it be before Shep is out on the bike again, maybe even wearing a yellow and red jersey, will depend on how many beers are left in the fridge.

Thanks also to “TdF Wendy” (Wendy rode the Women’s Tour de France a few year ago; Respect!) for driving me up to the race the Sunday before I left.

I know what we should do.. have a “training camp” with all the usual Sunshine Coast suspects over here for some riding, mountain climbing (sorry Evan) and pastry eating fun. How about it?

No comments: