Saturday, March 29, 2008

Sunday is RaceDay

I'm not sure how, but I got in my minimum amount of miles for the week, despite the cold and wet.

While out on a ride Thursday, I came across this gem of a photo. It's actually not an uncommon sight in France. We generally drive a fair bit faster than the US and AUS, and I guess the roads are smaller... The funny thing is, French drivers are really good when it comes to sharing the road with cyclists. Cyclists have been on the roads over here for as long as cars have excited... and yet, there's something about this picture that makes you wonder.


Sunday = Race day.
Well here it is. Sunday is my first race of the season. They are calling for pretty bad weather on sunday, so it will be interesting to say the least. I have pretty high ambitions for this event. My aim is to finish. ;-) Probably a harder task than it sounds. That will be my fairly uneventful aim for most of the early season events, until I get fitter and the sun starts coming out.
The rest of the team however will have a pretty good change at pulling off a result. A few of the guys are going really well in this early season. Hopefully they'll get in the break early and the rest of us can sit around and follow wheels. Of course "following wheels" sounds easier than it actually is...

In the meantime, Darren Lill will be doing the Criterium International. A race he could probably do something in if it weren't absolutely freezing and pissing with rain up there at the moment. Not the South African's favourite weather. When I say do "something" in, I mean got for the most aggressive rider, or go on a long break that might get him the Mountains (hills really) jersey. The Criterium International is too flat to really suit his abilities.

Sunday is also the Mooloolaba Triathlon, which I would have liked to be able to watch from the coffee shop, or do the bike leg of. Good luck to Craig who's doing the big leg as part of a team entry in the Tri.

The Mooloolaba Triathlon, it could be held it a worse setting!

Sunday is also the MTB Graulhet round of the Midi Pyrenees MTB series which my mate Alphonce is in. With any luck we'll be able to hook up for a drink after the event (if I get back from my race in time).

Well, the sun is out (but it's still COLD) and I'd better go clean my bike.

No comments: