Saturday, December 08, 2007

Beach

Over the past few days I've been settling into something or a routine. Ridding in the morning with Craig, sometimes prolonging the ride alone for a bit, then settling down to an afternoon of work, starting on preparing the Tour de France trips already.

I have also found out that internet use here isn't like back home. You are actually limited in your consumption... and I have already overused the allowed amount. So from now on I will limit the blog posts, and the pictures (if there are any) will be lower definition. In other words, I'll be brief (like the Pelican) :-).



Today I jumped on the bike and went for a "tourist" spin to the beaches and lighthouses of Mooloolaba. I'm still having a bit of a hard time getting used to being obliged to wear a helmet, even when I'm just scooting around in shorts and t-shirt using the bike to nip from here there, going to the beach, or riding on sidewalks. It's a really strange feeling. To me it feels a bit like walking down the street totally naked, but with dark dress socks pulled up the knees with very nice shoes on. It just doesn't feel right. What a pain taking it off to take photos, putting it back on, sweat running down my face as I pootle around town. Anyway, that's just the way it is... and it is the ONLY thing I would change about Australia if I could, because everything else is just flippin' PERFECT! Oh, except for they drive on the wrong side of the road. :-)





I went to watch people surfing, watched the boats come and go, and watched the endless jet skies do just that... "jet"... across the blue water. There is so much activity in the water you never get "board" (unless you are surfing of course...). ;-)

I sat on a bit of grass overlooking the bay and listened to waves crashing against the rocks below me. Very soothing.


I also came across a very strange looking lizard. It looked like a cross between a snake and a lizard. It was flat (as if someone had stamped on it) and was actually quite long.

I have been noticing a few of these massive container ships on the horizon recently... and this one is huge!

No comments: