Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Training

Eating Humble Pie
OK, so since I've been here in Oz I've been pretty quiet about my training and riding. My blog has seemingly turned into a National Geographic wannabe, and for all anyone knows I've sold my bike and turned into a bird spotter wearing a long rain jacket and big thick glasses on my face. Well that isn't entirely the case... it's only half true.

Truth is I've been riding and training fairly well. That said I am having a little difficulty quantifying my training. When I first got here I had just been on my winter/off-season break and had been off the bike for a while. The first couple weeks were a bit strange as I got back into regular riding and got my ass kicked and handed to be on a platter by Craig and pretty much any other person we came across on the bike, including 60 year old ladies going to get bread in the morning. Ok, so people don't go and get bread in the mornings here, but Craig and the other Aussies sure were giving me a hard time. However I am now in my 4th week of Aussie life and I'm starting to feel ok on the bike again. I've done a couple of 20min uphill wattage tests and 1 wattage/HR step test to see where I am. I seem to be coming along pretty good, and the guys on the road here aren't making life hard for me anymore. I guess I ended the season in good form and it isn't taking long for that form to start coming back around. Actually Craig has really helped me build steady power. He's been going out and doing big gear hill reps, which is just what I need to be doing more of at this time of year. So, although he doesn't know it, and I would never admit it to him, he's been good to ride with. :)


Too much?
The Question is, am I going to be too fit too early for the Euro season? Compared to previous years I have without a doubt done more training than normal in December, but that's the whole bloody point of being here, so no big surprises there. I'm monitoring my fitness and trying to figure out what my progression curb is and hopefully I'll get it right and will be ready to fly once the season has kicked off and Iv'e got a few races under my belt back in Europe.

Of course the truth of the matter is, the fitter I get the more I enjoy my riding and I'll end up just riding regardless of when I hope to be fit... ahh.. so be it, that's ok, it's all about having fun anyway!!!

No comments: