Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Roo Hunt Success


Finally! I’ve been going out Roo hunting for a while and never seeing them, but yesterday evening, Craig was going for a run (he’s a triathlete) and as he’s seen kangaroos a few times while out running. So I figured I would tag along (on the bike of course), and take my camera. Once again Craig really pulled through. Seems that every time he takes me somewhere, we see some cool and exotic wildlife. As we approached the fields where I’ve been looking for them, we didn’t see anything. Then we suddenly glanced left and Craig said: “oh there you go.” And low and behold there they were. 2 roos standing there staring at us. They were actually really well camouflaged surprisingly. And with the fading light, the shots aren’t great. So we tried to get as close and we could to them, and woohoo, I have finally got my much desired pic of a Roo!!! We then carried on and went past a sports field where we saw about 6 more roos!! One of which had a little baby kangaroo in her pouch. How perfect is that?!



Morning Ride

This morning I went out with a group ride from town. It was a good ride and I’m glad I went on it. They went up a 6 or 7km mountain that is about an hour’s ride out of town. I was a bit nervous about riding with a group up this mountain, as the groups here seem to go all out all the time and spend their time attacking each other. But once we hit the climb I fell into my rhythm and felt like I was (almost) back on form and racing in the Pyrenees. Needless to say I couldn’t help but play the game a little, and I wasn’t too shabby (much to my surprise considering my current form). It also gave me the opportunity to do an uphill threshold test, the results of which were much better than I had expected. So that’s all good news. Then we rode home, and I extended the ride a little bit to get in 3.5 hours.

No comments: