Sunday, November 28, 2004

Intervals galore and some good wine.

Saturday: Today I got up and rode intervals again in the basement. I felt much better. Although my back is still really killing me and I can feel it is totally blocked up, it didn’t seem to bother me too much on the bike. I have a doctor’s appointment next Thursday, so I’m really looking forward to getting my back taken care of.

After the intervals I went into Gaillac to do some shopping and stuff, but the weather was great. Sunny and warm for this time of year. So once I got home I figured I really should get out on the bike. I knew I didn’t have much time, as it would get dark soon. So I took my Time Trial bike out and did my usual Time Trial test. That way I knew I’d get a ride in, even if it was short, and I thought be interesting to see how I react to a hard effort. I reacted well, my back didn’t bother me too much and I did a personal best on the “course”. Not bad for this time of year. It was promising and made me feel a lot better about myself as a whole.



Fete du Primeur; quit your wineing


Now comes the fun. Sat evening was the village party to celebrate the arrival of the Gaillac 2005 primeur wine. It’s a big meal where the whole village gets together to eat, and drink/compare wine. What’s interesting about these Fetes is that all primeur wine is made from Gamay grapes. So for people like myself who know nothing about wine, it puts things on a level playing field to enable me to compare the different Domaines. This is something I have never understood about the US. People over there choose their wine by the grape. You go to a restaurant or even a supper market, and wines are categorized according to the grape type. I’ve never been able to choose a wine in the US. The grape type is irrelevant. It is the Domaine, the earth, the process, the region of the country, the position of the vines on a hill (top of the hill or bottom) etc etc that makes the difference. And what a difference it makes!
Anyway… it was fun, good food, good wine, good company, but a late night…
Aller, vive the vin du Gaillacois, on veras si il est bon le 2004. (Hic)

No comments: