Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Long ride in the hills


This morning I turned off the alarm and stayed in bed. I felt really really tired for some reason. I was supposed to meet a group up in town to go riding while Craig went for a run. I really didn't feel like it though. And as I was lying there in bed, I heard this tremendous downpour outside, and felt a lot less justified in missing the early morning ride.

So instead I went riding this afternoon. I went out for a nice 3 hour ride. I sometimes put directions on a piece of sticky paper and stick it to my stem or my handlebars... but not always. Needless to say I got a little lost, but it all worked out. I ended up going up the mountains and riding along the ridge. The road was actually a pain in the ass as it is full of really really short steep hills. Anyway the view from up there was stunning. On one side I could see all the way to the ocean, and on the other side I could the mountains disappear off into the distance.

About half way through the ride I started feeling dizzy and got a little worried. So after a really fast (but straight, no fun and interesting corners) descent I stopped off at a little shop for a chocolate bar and some water.
I then rode home via some roads that were a little bigger than I had hoped. I good part of the ride home was on Steve Erwin road (Steve Erwin was "the Crocodile mane", that crazy guy who did all those TV shows about dangerous animals. His zoo is just up the road from here. I'll have to go that one day!

It was a good little ride. And one I really needed to get out of the way. My first longish ride here, my first ride alone, and the start of my training for the 2008 season.

Now that I am home however I must admit that I am totally exhausted. My neck and back are killing me. I have a terrible headache. It's a horrible feeling. I don't know what has brought this on though. I had plenty of food, I thought I had had enough to drink. Anyway...

No comments: